Geranium Essential Oil.
Tranquil, Sensitive and Healing.
Geranium essential oil is very balancing and seems to work wonders on
the mind, body and spirit! It lightens the mood, so is good for anxiety,
depression, stress and neuralgia. It has such a wonderful, feminine, floral aroma which always makes it a real pleasure to use.
It is one of the few oils that can be used in almost any blend.
It is both uplifting and a sedative and so when used in the bath is very refreshing and relaxing.
Pelargonium graveolens or Pelargonium adorantissimum
France, Italy, Spain, Morocco, Egypt and South Africa.
Common Method Of Extraction:
Steam distillation of the leaves.
Light, floral and spicy.
Blends Well With:
Most oils, but especially with bergamot, lavender, citrus oils, chamomile, patchouli, basil, clary sage and rosemary.
Anti-depressant, diuretic, regulating, tonic, astringent, emmenogogue, analgesic, antiseptic.
See the glossary for definitions!
Mind, Spirit and Body:
- Geranium essential oil has an harmonising effect on the mind and emotions which makes it fantastic for treating stress.
- It is a haemostatic which means it stops bleeding. This makes it very useful for treating injuries and speeding up healing.
- Helps relieve pre-menstrual tension, excessive fluid retention, menopausal problems and is very good at balancing hormones.
- It is very useful for many types of skin conditions such as dry eczema, shingles, burns, lice and ringworm.
- Geranium is in fact an insecticide and is very good as a mosquito repellant.
This is a cleansing, refreshing and astringent essential oil so is used widely in skincare. It is good for sluggish, congested and oily skins.
Geranium Essential Oil Precautions:
- Geranium is an emmenogogue so must not be used in pregnancy.
- Can cause irritation with sensitive skin.
- Geranium is a very balancing oil so is good for mood swings and easing frustration and irritability.
- It has a Yin quality, but is really quite neutral with a leaning towards Yin. This tendency towards neutrality is a reason why geranium blends
well with so many different oils and is good at balancing both oily and
dry skin. It is said to be a herb of Venus with feminine and sensual
- During medieval times people planted geranium around their cottages for protection.
Return From Geranium Essential Oil Properties to Home Page
Return From Geranium Properties to Essential Oil Properties
Return From Geranium Properties to Basic Essential Oils