Juniper Essential Oil
Detoxing, Cleansing and Strengthening....
Try using juniper essential oil if you are feeling like your mind and body need a good detox!
It is an essential oil I often use in a blend with lavender and rosemary (a great blend
for an aromatherapy massage for sporty people!) or with lavender and a
citrus oil for a wonderfully uplifting and detoxing massage.
You can find oil which is distilled from both juniper berries and
twigs, but the essential oil produced from the berries alone has a
greater therapeutic value. Make sure you buy oil described as
juniperberry rather than just juniper if it's the healing properties
that you are after.
Northern Europe, Siberia, Usa, Asia
Common Method Of Extraction:
Steam distillation of the ripe berries.
Fresh, woody smell, reminiscent of pine
Blends Well With:
Lavender, rosemary, citrus oils, cypress, frankincense, geranium
Anti-rheumatic, astringent, antiseptic, digestive, detoxifying, diuretic, emmenogogue, purifying, rubefacient, sedative, tonic
See the glossary for definitions!
Mind, Spirit and Body:
- Juniper is a diuretic so is great for people with fluid retention.
- A good oil to use in aromatherapy massage to help the fight against cellulite.
- Can be useful for treating cystitus.
- It stimulates the appetite.....this is why gin
(which is flavoured with juniper) & tonic is such a good aperitif!
(that's the excuse I use, anyway!)
- Useful in remedies for urinary tract infections.
- Use juniper oil blended with lavender for a detoxifying bath - mix with a carrier oil before adding to the bath.
- Good for treating people that are worried or anxious.
- Useful for helping treat rheumatism and gout, due to its purifying and diuretic properties.
- Excellent for indigestion, colic and wind!
- Its antiseptic qualities make it useful for the treatment of cuts, sores and wounds.
Juniper essential oil
is a great tonic for oily and congested skins. In fact it's good for
many skin problems such as acne, blocked pores, eczema, dermatitis.
- Do not use this oil where there are kidney disorders.
- Avoid using during pregnancy.
Additional Notes:It is a good oil to use as a disinfectant in household cleaning aromatherapy recipes. Use a few drops in water for washing walls and floors etc.
Juniper has been burned for both medicinal and
religious purposes for centuries. It has been burned to ward off evil
spirits or to act as a disinfectant in times of plague and infectious
Return From Juniper Essential Oil Properties to Home Page
Return From Juniper Oil Properties to Essential Oil Properties